Sunday, March 30, 2003

Tidying is torture

Now here's a headline I love to see: Spring Cleaning Has its Dangers. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons warns, according to a HealthScout News report, that "a number of those chores can be dangerous or deadly if you don't take the proper precautions." The Academy goes ahead and offers such precautions, but really -- if we followed them all, we'd never need an Orthopaedic Surgeon, so what's the incentive for them to really make cleaning strain-free? Surely they've left off some important warnings here and there, just waiting for the cases of dusting elbow or sweeping shoulder to come rolling in. No, thanks, I say -- keep your precautions, I'm keeping my house messy. I'm taking no chances with my aging bones, thank you very much.

Personally, I've learned to just overlook all manner of clutter and uncleanliness, so sitting out spring cleaning's no trial for me; if your standards are higher, but you don't wish to risk your own personal skeleton in the pursuit of good housekeeping, the Club Mom Web site is offering a contest in which you can win thousands of dollars of cleaning and home improvement services. Of course, you might be risking carpal tunnel syndrome typing in your information, if you haven't left enough dust on your desk to cushion your wrists.

No comments: